Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bouquet inspirations

I don't know why, but the idea of using an alternative to real flowers for my bouquet popped into my head a few weeks ago. Maybe it's because I'm not a huge fan of plants. Or maybe it's because I am too crafty for my own good. (Ya think?) Whatever the reason, I am excited by what I've found and I just have to share.

At first I thought of knitted flowers, but they're usually kind of heavy looking and I don't want anything too straight-outta-the-70s-macrame-style.

So I went poking around Flickr and the first amazing bouquet I found was this all-button bouquet by lilfishstudios:

(Flickr link to that photo right here.)

I was stunned -- this is gorgeous! My only problem is that I think it would be a little small. I have not picked out my specific dress yet, but I do have one in mind and... let's just say that it's not a small dress. I think it needs a slightly bigger bouquet.

So, armed with the idea of button bouquets, I poked around Flickr some more and found this treat from Little Chrince:

(Flickr link to that photo right here.)

Two things I especially love about that are the swirly bits (I have no idea what that is -- I asked Little Chrince and she said, "I bought that at a home decorating store. I'm not exactly sure what they are. It's like a plastic strip and then it's dipped into a gluey substance. Then when it's dried, it's bendable. The lady who owns the store makes the materials herself." Anyone have any idea what that is?)

And I also love her awesome felt flower, which adds more volume to the bouquet:

(Flickr link to that photo right here.)

Once the idea of felt flowers had been planted (har har), I kept poking around Flickr. And wow did I find the jackpot of loveliness with the amazing creations of Miss_Violonjello. Just look at this bouquet:

(Flickr link to that photo right here.)

I am so impressed by her gorgeous work! Behold the stitching on this lovely flower:

(Flickr link to that photo right here.)

(That bouquet is for sale here and the lovely flower pin is right here in her Etsy shop. Go on over there and drool over her amazing craftsmanship. Beautiful!)

So after I had the idea of button flowers and felt flowers, I thought of perhaps making a generally crafty bouquet and poked around for other kinds of flowers I could make. And I found some!

There are these lovelies made from organza by latarnia_morska -- she has a tutorial on her lovely blog House of Art right here:

(Flickr link here.)

And look at these fantastic little fabric flowers by the crafty goddess wisecraft, who also offers this great tutorial here:

(Flickr link here.)

While poking around for handmade flowers, I found some beautiful work by Pavoreal. I think I could make some "stems" using a technique like she uses for her hairvines -- sort of like a faux baby's breath to add a little bit o' something:

(Flickr link here).

(She also has an Etsy shop where she sells her beautiful wares. She's on vacation right now, but she's definitely one to watch -- her creations are really breathtaking.)

Of course, now that my brain is teeming with ideas, I will definitely have to edit. Again, I don't want this thing looking too heavy -- no need to be carrying a knitting basket down the aisle.

Or why don't I just buy real flowers, right? Nah... this is too much fun!
-kelly

1 comment:

j0zzzz said...

I love them all! Can you have multiple bouquets? You know, one to walk down the aisle, one to walk back, one to throw, etc?

The buttons make them look tasty to me. Not sure what thats about.